FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Taekwondo is both an ancient Korean Martial Art, and a modern International Olympic sport. In terms of techniques, Tae Kwon Do emphasizes kicks more than other martial arts, making it ideal for improving balance, flexibility, and endurance.
At what age can children start Tae Kwon Do?
- Our experience has shown that children ages four and up will be able to take the greatest advantage from Tae Kwon Do classes. Starting at age four your child can participate in our trial lesson program, which allows our instructors to work with them one on one and evaluate their readiness for group classes. Our staff will then use their experience to recommend the best course of action for you and your child.
Does Tae Kwon Do increase aggressiveness?
- Absolutely not. Your child will be taught from the first lesson that a true “Tae Kwon Do kid” never misuses their martial arts skills. Throughout their training, they will be reminded that being physically and mentally tough does not allow one to be tough with others. Instead, Tae Kwon Do students are expected to be humble, courteous, respectful and careful about when and where they practice their skills. The instructors at Master H Kim’s will continually educate your child that Tae Kwon Do is a form of exercise and self-improvement, not a tool for bullying.
Can I take classes with my child?
- Yes! In fact many families are finding Tae Kwon Do to be the perfect family activity, combining an exciting workout with a new learning experience. You have your choice of attending children’s and adult classes individually or coming together to our Family Class. Either way you’ll have a great time and create a special family bond.
How safe is it to learn Tae Kwon Do?
- Tae Kwon Do is safe and fun for students of all ages and physical abilities. Classes are taught by expert instructors as students are shown techniques in a step by step manner at their own pace. A thorough stretching routine, matted flooring, and protective safety equipment are all part of our commitment to ensuring student safety.
Do I need to have prior martial arts experience?
- No! Whether you have experience or not does not matter. The majority of our students have not participated in martial arts training before enrolling as a member. Beginners are always welcome. First time students receive one-on-one instruction designed to answer common questions and provide an introduction to the basics of Tae Kwon Do and we always teach everything step-by-step.
What if I’m out of shape?
- Our program makes it easy for new students of all fitness levels to get started. In addition, the belt system used in Tae Kwon Do allows all students to train at their own pace and improve their physical condition gradually. Classes begin with warm-ups and stretches, and we incorporate conditioning drills throughout the training. Essentially, you’ll be building your fitness level and conditioning while you train.
How often do I need to train?
- Training requires two things: time and patience. Due to the busy life we all live today, we need to adjust and adapt in order to do things we like and enjoy. The more regularly you train, the more progress you’ll make. We offer classes six days a week at various times throughout the week so that you can adjust your training according to your time schedule.
How much does your program cost?
- Cost depends on the length and type of program you enroll into. We have a special trial program for $19.95 so you can see which program would suit you and/or your child the best. After the trial program, we will discuss pricing and available options.
How long will it take to earn my black belt?
- Earning a black belt requires patience and dedication and the time it will take you to achieve will depend on how much you come to class and how you progress through the curriculum. Our instructors will be watching your weekly and monthly performance and will assess your readiness to advance through our black belt curriculum based on you performing at your personal best. All students progress through the program at their own pace, but on average, a black belt can be earned in 36 months, assuming you’re coming to class and giving it your all.
Have a different question? Please send us an email, or call us directly at 832-559-8553.